Aug 082014
 

It’s been another good week of Making Things Happen. I’m pleased with the productivity this week: not just mine, but the entire writing community’s.

What I’m up to

As usual, what I did this week doesn’t entirely line up with what I’d expected, but it was still productive, which is the important thing, right?

Work continued on finishing up the doc project planning page migration work, and better integration with other pages on MDN and elsewhere. I also put together the first draft of the WebGL doc plan.

I’m working on trying to reshuffle my many personal appointments that happen regularly to less often interfere with meetings, but unfortunately there’s only so much I can do.

What I did this week

  • Replaced the main documentation plan page on wikimo with a link to the new page on MDN, with an explanation of why it moved.
  • Finished work on moving the Learning area doc project plan to MDN.
  • Migrated the “Writing chrome code” doc plan to MDN, then emailed Will Bamberg to let him know his planning docs had moved.
  • Wrote first draft of the WebGL doc plan and emailed dev team to request feedback.
    • Got quick feedback with WebGL 2.0 ship date and added that information to the doc plan.
  • Added the dev-doc-needed keyword to man WebGL 2.0 related bugs.
  • Filed a bug about a problem with the link editor not suggesting zone pages that have moved out of the /docs/ hierarchy.
  • Added a link to the WebRTC doc project plan to the WebRTC documentation status page.
  • Posted to the dev-media list asking for suggestions on topics to cover in the WebRTC docs.
  • Updated the MDN page about KumaScript macros to link to the new article on troubleshooting them that Stephanie Hobson wrote.
  • Did a quick copy-edit pass on the troubleshooting article, and added some information about how to use search keywords to get to macro pages quickly (to read the built-in documentation most have).
  • Emailed out various meeting reminders.
  • Updated the team priority list spreadsheet with updated URLs and new information.
  • Wrote agenda for writers’ staff meeting and Web API docs meeting.
  • Wrote a nifty new MDN macro, ContentFromWikimo, which imports the content of a specified block (by ID) from a page on wikimo and inserts it into the MDN page.
  • Used theĀ ContentFromWikimo macro to embed module owner information about WebRTC, WebGL, Web Workers, and XPCOM to their doc plans.
  • Filed a number of meta/tracking bugs for the various doc plans.
  • Created meta/tracking bugs for all current documentation plans. See my standup for today for links; I’m not going to copy and paste them all here. :)

Meetings attended this week

Monday

  • #mdndev bug/triage/planning meetings.

Tuesday

  • Messaging discussion for MDN feature planning.

Wednesday

  • 1:1 meeting with Ali.

Thursday

  • MDN writers’ staff meeting.

Friday

  • MDN development bug swat meeting.
  • Web APIs documentation meeting.

So, whew! Lots done! I’m particularly proud of theĀ ContentFromWikimo macro work. It was also a lot of fun to do. I think it’ll be useful, too, at least sometimes.

I have a good feeling about next week. I think it’ll be even more productive!

 Posted by at 1:47 PM