Aug 162014
 

I’m quite satisfied with how well the past week has gone. It’s been incredibly productive despite a few distractions and a great many meetings. Here’s my report on what I’ve been doing, and what I will be doing in the near future.

What I’m up to

I’ve been busy optimizing my own work processes, as well as setting up information so others know what needs to be done as well. I’ve also done a lot of copy-editing and organizational work in content, and have been touching up stuff ranging from the MDN inbox to the Learning Area to doc plans. It’s been a wonderfully productive week, and it feels good to be getting back into the swing of things.

What’s up next

Next week, I intend to dive into WebRTC, and to start putting together sample code so I can begin work on writing guides to working with WebRTC. It’s going to be really exciting!

As usual, of course, I have a number of other, smaller, tasks I want or need to accomplish, too.

What I did this week

  • Moved the main page on DocShell from the top level of MDN to its proper home, and filed a bug on getting it fully documented.
  • Dealt with infrastructure failures at my office: the air conditioning completely failed (working in a swelteringly hot office is not fun), and I discovered standing water in the restroom. The A/C is now fixed; the water problem has not been figured out yet, although the water has evaporated for now.
  • Helped test the new GitHub login support on the MDN staging server, and filed a few bugs regarding quirks I noticed.
  • Reviewed and had nothing but nice things to say about the new welcome email sent out by MDN to new members.
  • Got involved in the discussion about disabling styled pasting in the MDN editor. I’m opposed to this; I would much rather we solve the problem from the user’s end — contributors should learn to be sure they don’t include crufty styles when they paste into MDN. But ideally we can come up with a solution that doesn’t break existing workflows, punishing people who aren’t making this mistake.
  • Moved the page Write a new entry in the Glossary to the right place; it had accidentally been given an obsolete URL due to a couple of MDN bugs. Reviewed and copy-edited the content.
  • Filed a bug for a feature suggested by biraj: content from one page on MDN that’s presented inside another page should be reflected in the displayed contributor list. I don’t know how likely this is to be addressed (it certainly won’t happen soon). It’s a big project and there are many unanswered questions.
  • Copy-edited the new Glossary entry for the term “i18n“.
  • Added the word “Glossary” to the list of tags that MDN offers auto-completion for.
  • Followed-up on a bug asking me to write some copy for the Github login experience.
  • Did some tidying up of the MDN style guide, including moving Chris Mills’ excellent new section on our policies on gender-neutral terminology to be among the language and grammar topics rather than in the markup and wiki usage topics area.
  • Minor changes to the Learning Area page on CSS. This page needs a lot of work still but I saw low-hanging fruit.
  • Converted the Learning Area into a zone. Its landing page needs finishing, but this is a nice step.
  • Finished an extensive review and copy-edit of the Learning Area page Write an article to help learn about the web.
  • Removed a page that was actually just a set of Firefox problem reports, and emailed the author information about how to properly report issues.
  • Found an MDN “Linking Guide” lurking in a dead part of the site, and moved it into the MDN user guide, with major updates and copy-edits.
  • Updated the MDN user guide’s landing page to use the LandingPageListSubpages macro, so it looks a little better.
  • Adapted Luke’s screenshot/diagram about how to enable a page subscription on MDN into a new page in the MDN how-to guide.
  • Tweaks to the Inbox page in preparation for expanding its visibility.
  • Integrated the first round of feedback into the WebGL documentation plan.
  • Updated my Geeksphone Peak to Firefox OS 2.0 nightly for use in upcoming WebRTC sample code tests.
  • Filed a bug about iCloud.com saying “Android not supported” on Firefox OS 2.0’s browser.
  • Pinged developers about reviewing the WebGL documentation plan.
  • Created several new basic (that is, mostly empty) MDN development project plan pages:
  • Copy-edited the Learning Area’s How to contribute to the Learning Area article.
  • Filed a documentation request bug for documenting the NavigatorFeatures (hasFeature/getFeature) API. This API is low-priority privileged API, documentation-wise.
  • Added notes to a couple of pages in the MDN contributor guide about being careful when pasting, to avoid pasting unwanted styles and classes into MDN.
  • Created the DocPlanHelpUs macro, which inserts text inviting participation in a project and describing how to get started. Added it to the appropriate place in all extant doc plans.
  • Took some notes, sent some emails, and added links to the project planning page for the on-site messaging project.
  • Added a link to the MDN contributor guide to the footer of messages on the dev-mdc mailing list, and tweaked my email address on the moderator email list names.

Meetings attended this week

Monday

  • #mdndev bug triage
  • MDN development planning

Tuesday

  •  1:1 meeting with Jean-Yves

Wednesday

  • MDN Community meeting
  • 1:1 meeting with Ali

Friday

As you see, it was an intensely busy week! I’ve started moving into using OmniFocus to track what needs to be done and by when and I think it’s going to help, but we will see how it plays out over time. I have a history of not doing well at keeping up with my organizational systems, as you’ve possibly noted if you read my posts over history about my various attempts to get organized.

At any rate, it’s been a good week, and I can’t wait to get more done!

 

 Posted by at 12:07 AM