It’s been a while since my last Sheppy Report; there several good(ish) reasons for that. I won’t rehash all that today, though.
My intent is to resume these weekly reports; they were well-received back then, and I hope they’ll help improve my ability to keep people apprised of what I’m doing and about what’s new on MDN.
What I’m up to
My primary mission this week was to work on the MDN documentation project plans, getting them prepared for use by moving them to MDN, building any necessary content and macros to support their presence, and so forth. This has gone pretty well, although it’s not quite finished yet. I plan to work on Saturday to complete this project.
Next week, I intend to tackle integration of the project plans with doc status pages and to write the WebGL documentation project plan. This will let us get started with the job of finding someone to write that important content.
There’s plenty more on my to-do list, and it’s possible priorities could shift, but finishing the current work is pretty much my Most Important Thing right now.
What I did this week
- Created the landing page for the new home of MDN documentation project plans.
- We decided to move these planning documents to MDN (even though planning docs don’t traditionally belong on MDN) in order to integrate them with our processes better. Having them on MDN means we can use KumaScript to automatically populate tables from bug lists, other areas of MDN, and so forth.
- This will also let us integrate them with our existing doc status page system, which has been a great tool. I look forward to this augmentation work.
- This page automatically rebuilds every four hours so its macro-generated list of subpages can be kept up to date.
- Archived our old “Team Status Board” page. This was an experiment in tracking what individual MDN contributors were working on that didn’t work out.
- Updated the
- Corrected a typo that broke the macro, causing a KumaScript error on all pages using this macro or one that calls it.
- Improved performance slightly by adding code to bounce out of loops when an end condition is detected early.
- Migrated the developer phone documentation project plan to MDN, reformatting it to follow the new organizational structure for these plans.
- Copy-edited the
- Rewrote parts of the
MakeColumnsForDL macro on MDN; this macro, which breaks up a
<dl> into two columns for our landing pages, was in some cases splitting the list in the midst of a
- Migrated the Game Developer Zone documentation project plan to MDN.
- Created a framework doc plan page for the RecRoom project.
- Created a framework doc plan page for the WebGL docs project.
- These framework doc plans will require filling -out, of course.
- Corrected an accidental “translation-in-place” incident that replaced the English Apps zone landing page with Italian.
- Created the
<picture> element doc plan page on MDN.
There’s lots not covered here, such as email catch-up from my vacation a week or two ago, and all sorts of non-meeting discussions about MDN features, ideas for improving articles, etc. But you’re likely not interested. In fact, I bet you didn’t actually read this far anyway. :)
Meetings attended this week
- #mdndev planning meeting
- #mdndev pull request triage
- MDN bug triage
- Mozilla staff meeting
- Developer Relations town hall meeting
- One-on-one meeting with Jean-Yves
- Employee training meeting
- One-on-one meeting with Ali
Unfortunately, a personal meeting ran very long on Friday, causing me to miss several scheduled meetings. Repeat apologies to everyone affected.
In general, a pretty productive week. A lot got done, and I’m making definite progress.