This week looks slower than usual when you look at this list, but the week involved a lot of research.
What I did this week
- Reviewed and made (very) minor tweaks to Chris Mills’s doc plan for the Gaia web components and QA documentation.
- Created an initial stub of a page for the canvas documentation plan.
- Spent the weekend and a bit of Monday getting my broken server, including this blog, back up and running after a not-entirely-successful (at first) upgrade of the server from OS X 10.6.8 Server to 10.9.4. But most things are working now. I’ll get the rest fixed up over the next few days.
- Pursued the MDN inbox project, trying to wrap it up.
- Asked for feedback on the current state of things.
- Added a subtle background color to the background of pages in the Inbox.
- Started discussions on dev-mdc and staff mailing list about the documentation process; we’re going to get this thing straightened up and organized.
- Filed bug 1056026 proposing that the
Firefox_for_developersmacro be updated to list both newer and older versions of Firefox.
- Redirected some obsolete pages to their newer, replacement, content in the MDN meta-documentation.
- Created a Hacker News account and upvoted a post about Hacks on canuckistani’s request.
- Updated the MDN Administration Guide.
- Installed various packages and add-ons on my Mac and server in preparation for testing WebRTC code.
- Forked several WebRTC projects from GitHub to experiment with.
- Found (after a surprisingly length search) a micro-USB cable so I could charge and update my Geeksphone Peak to Firefox OS 2.0′s latest nightly build.
- Re-established contact with Piotr at CKSource about continuing work to get our editor updated and improved.
- Removed a mess of junk from a page in pt-BR; looks like someone used an editor that added a bunch of extra
- Successfully tested a WebRTC connection between my Firefox OS phone and my iMac, using my Mac mini as server. Now I should be ready to start writing code of my own, now that I know it all works!
- Filed bug 1057546: we should IMHO strip HTML tags that aren’t part of a string from within a macro call; this would prevent unfortunate errors.
- Filed bug 1057547 proposing that the editor be updated to detect uses of the style attribute and of undefined classes, and present warnings to the user when they do so.
- Fixed a page that was incorrectly translated in place, and emailed the contributor a reminder to be careful in the future.
Meetings attended this week
- MDN dev team meeting on security and improved processes to prevent problems like the email address disclosure we just had happen.
- MDN developer triage meeting.
- Developer Engagement weekly meeting.
- 1:1 with Jean-Yves Perrier.
- 1:1 with Ali.
- Writers’ staff meeting.
- #mdndev weekly review meeting.
- MDN bug swat meeting.
- Web API documentation meeting.
So… it was a wildly varied day today. But I got a lot of interesting things done.