As I remarked previously, we’re looking seriously into switching from MediaWiki to Deki Wiki for MDC. This has caused quite a run of discussion, so I figured I’d post more thoughts on this.
We will have a development server up soon that people will be able to use to try out Deki and where we’ll be working on the software to make it work the way we need it to work.
Deki provides a captcha mechanism to help prevent spam bots from signing up for accounts in the first place; this is an improvement over our current MediaWiki setup (although there is a captcha system available for MediaWiki, we’ve not installed one yet).
We’re pretty comfortable that the spam situation will improve with Deki (although to be honest we’ve managed it pretty well with MediaWiki so far, although it’s been a bit of a cat-and-mouse game to keep ahead of the spammers).
I don’t know a ton about accessibility so I’ll be relying heavily on others to gauge the accessibility of Deki Wiki.
Regarding invalid markup
Yes, this is an ongoing problem. It would be lovely to have perfectly valid markup but to be frank, that’s not really my priority. My priority as documentation lead is to get the information out there and make it as easy as possible to create and manage that information. I hope that we can make progress on this front, but I can’t let validity of the markup be an overriding factor in deciding what software to use to create the documentation because when you’re sitting there writing and editing content, that’s just not what matters the most.
As long as the site works in Firefox and other popular browsers, that’s really what means most. However, that being said, I fully intend to urge the Deki guys to work on this!
Regarding the Deki editor
There’s an edit source mode that allows you to directly edit the XHTML for an article. I don’t know about per-page CSS, although that would be nice.
There is a nice WYSIWYG table editor, although I’ve had some interesting issues with it acting oddly on certain table configurations (in particular, single-row tables seem to confuse it a bit).