Aug 222014

This week looks slower than usual when you look at this list, but the week involved a lot of research.

What I did this week

  • Reviewed and made (very) minor tweaks to Chris Mills’s doc plan for the Gaia web components and QA documentation.
  • Created an initial stub of a page for the canvas documentation plan.
  • Spent the weekend and a bit of Monday getting my broken server, including this blog, back up and running after a not-entirely-successful (at first) upgrade of the server from OS X 10.6.8 Server to 10.9.4. But most things are working now. I’ll get the rest fixed up over the next few days.
  • Pursued the MDN inbox project, trying to wrap it up.
    • Asked for feedback on the current state of things.
    • Added a subtle background color to the background of pages in the Inbox.
  • Started discussions on dev-mdc and staff mailing list about the documentation process; we’re going to get this thing straightened up and organized.
  • Filed bug 1056026 proposing that the Firefox_for_developers macro be updated to list both newer and older versions of Firefox.
  • Redirected some obsolete pages to their newer, replacement, content in the MDN meta-documentation.
  • Created a Hacker News account and upvoted a post about Hacks on canuckistani’s request.
  • Updated the MDN Administration Guide.
  • Installed various packages and add-ons on my Mac and server in preparation for testing WebRTC code.
  • Forked several WebRTC projects from GitHub to experiment with.
  • Found (after a surprisingly length search) a micro-USB cable so I could charge and update my Geeksphone Peak to Firefox OS 2.0’s latest nightly build.
  • Re-established contact with Piotr at CKSource about continuing work to get our editor updated and improved.
  • Removed a mess of junk from a page in pt-BR; looks like someone used an editor that added a bunch of extra <span>s.
  • Successfully tested a WebRTC connection between my Firefox OS phone and my iMac, using my Mac mini as server. Now I should be ready to start writing code of my own, now that I know it all works!
  • Filed bug 1057546: we should IMHO strip HTML tags that aren’t part of a string from within a macro call; this would prevent unfortunate errors.
  • Filed bug 1057547 proposing that the editor be updated to detect uses of the style attribute and of undefined classes, and present warnings to the user when they do so.
  • Fixed a page that was incorrectly translated in place, and emailed the contributor a reminder to be careful in the future.

Meetings attended this week


  • MDN dev team meeting on security and improved processes to prevent problems like the email address disclosure we just had happen.
  • MDN developer triage meeting.


  • Developer Engagement weekly meeting.
  • 1:1 with Jean-Yves Perrier.


  • 1:1 with Ali.


  • Writers’ staff meeting.


  • #mdndev weekly review meeting.
  • MDN bug swat meeting.
  • Web API documentation meeting.

So… it was a wildly varied day today. But I got a lot of interesting things done.

 Posted by at 6:16 PM