Sep 052014

First, a personal note:

Holy frickity-frak! It’s September!?

Okay, back to business. My work this week was all over the place. Got tons done but, of course, not what I meant to do. That said, I did actually make progress on the stuff I’d planned to do this week, so that’s something, anyway.

I love this job. The fact that I start my week expecting one awesome thing, and find myself doing two totally different awesome things instead, is pretty freaking cool.

What I did this week

  • Filed bug 1061624 about the new page editing window lacking a link to the Tagging Guide next to the tag edit area.
  • Followed up on some tweets reporting problems with MDN content; made sure the people working on that material knew about the issues at hand, and shared reassurances that we’re on the problem.
  • Tweaked the Toolbox page to mention where full-page screenshots are captured in both locations where the feature is described (instead of just the first place). Also added additional tags to the page.
  • Had a lot of discussions, both by video and by email and IRC, about planning and procedures for documentation work. A new effort is underway to come up with a standard process.
  • Submitted my proposal for changes to our documentation process to Ali, who will be collating this input from all the staff writers and producing a full proposal.
  • Checked the MDN Inbox: it was empty.
  • Experimentation with existing WebRTC examples.
  • Moved some WebRTC content to its new home on MDN.
  • Filed bug 1062538, which suggests that there be a way to close the expanded title/TOC editor on MDN, once it’s been expanded.
  • Fixed the parent page links for the older WebAPI docs; somehow they all believed their parent to be in the Polish part of MDN.
  • Corrected grammar in the article about HTMLMediaElement, and updated the page’s tags.
  • Filed a bug about search behavior in the MDN header, but it was a duplicate.
  • Discovered a privacy issue bug and filed it. A fix is already forthcoming.
  • bz told me that previewing changes to docs in the API reference results in an internal service error; I did some experimenting, then filed bug 1062856 for him. I also pinged mdn-drivers since it seems potentially serious.
  • Discovered an extant, known bug in media streaming which prevents me from determining the dimensions of the video correctly from script. This is breaking many samples for WebRTC.
  • Went through all pages with KumaScript errors (there were only 10). All but one were fixed with a shift-refresh. The last one had a typo in a macro call and worked fine after I fixed the error.
  • Expanded on Florian’s Glossary entry about endianness by adding info on common platforms and processors for each endianness.
  • Filed bug 1063560 about search results claiming to be for English only when your search was for locale=*.
  • Discovered and filed bug 1063582 about MDN edits not showing up until you refresh after saving. This had been fixed at one point but has broken again very recently.
  • Started designing a service to run on Mozilla’s PaaS platform to host the server side of MDN samples. My plan is nifty and I’ll share more about it when I’m done putting rough drafts together.
  • Extended discussions with MDN dev team about various issues and bugs.
  • Helped with the debugging of a Firefox bug I filed earlier in the week.

Meetings attended this week


  • #mdndev planning meeting
  • 1:1 with Jean-Yves


  • 1:1 meeting with Ali


  • Writers’ staff meeting
  • Compatibility Data monthly meeting


  • #mdndev weekly review meeting
  • Web API documentation meeting; only myself, Jean-Yves, and Florian attended but it was still a viable conversation.

A good, productive week, even if it didn’t involve the stuff I expected to do. That may be my motto: I did a lot of things I didn’t expect to do.

 Posted by at 5:17 PM